This is a well researched topic with work done by many reputable firms like Hewitt, Deloitte, Kenexa, AON, Gallup and Towers Perrin. Some of the best research I’ve come across is from Leigh Branham in his book RE-ENGAGE who cites 6 universal engagement drivers.
- Caring, competent, and engaging senior leaders
- Effective managers who keep employees aligned and engaged
- Effective teamwork at all levels
- Job enrichment and professional growth
- Valuing employee contributions
- Concern for employee well being
When people are asked about career experiences where they were fully engaged, I often hear there was a high level of trust. When trust is high, work gets done faster, fewer emails are sent to clarify positions, and there are fewer meetings after the meeting. When I look at research and talk with business leaders the key distinction that creates an engaged workforce is the senior leader.